Domaine de Sérol, Éclat de Granite, Côte Roannaise, France
- Size: 8-10 ha (20-25ac) depending on the year
- Variety: Gamay St. Romain
- Vine Age: Planted from the mid-1930s to the mid-2000s
- Terroir: Mix of elevations and exposures, with the soil of granite rocks and fine granite gravel
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic (certified)
- Vinification: Partial whole-cluster (about 40%), ambient yeast fermentation in cement tanks (lasts 15-18 days). Aged for 6 to 10 months in cement tank, light filtration.
This cuvée is similar to Les Originelles in that it is from a blend of different vineyards and that the amount produced and vineyards that it is sourced from vary from year to year. Its identity comes from the granitic soils in each terroir and the older vine ages. More entrenched vine root systems add depth and complexity and the granite soils are the hallmark of the Sérol's terroir.
This terroir has a high plantation density: 8,500 vines/hectare. Trellised vines, single Guyot pruning.